- 1971-2006: Involvement with professional bodies at a number of levels: countywide (Essex Curators Group), regional (South Midlands Museum Federation, South-Eastern Museums Service), national (Museum Ethnographers Group, Museums Association), and international (International Council of Museums).
- 1978-1980 and 1999-2002: Museum Ethnographers Group, Chair
- 1999-2006: Museum Ethnographers Group, member of Committee
- 2005-2009: Provided assessments for the Arts and Humanities Research Council as a member of the Peer Review College, specialising in Museum Studies.
- 2000: Made submission to the Parliamentary Select Committee on Culture, Media and Sport on issues surrounding human remains.
- 1975-1985: Delivered occasional programmes of lectures to undergraduate and postgraduate classes at University College London, University of Cambridge, and Institute of West African Studies, University of Birmingham.
Report of Museum Ethnographers Group 2016 conference, ‘Faith and Community: Interpreting Beliefs in the Modern Museum’ here.